Contents :

A collection of thoughts, and my notes about experiments and ideas, technical or otherwise, connected to Amateur Radio, Satellite working and monitoring and other electronics.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

500 kHz Receiving Antenna in the Make.

I have been looking into the options for receiving amateur signals on the 600m band (500 kHz). Since I live in an apartment size does matter, so looking for a small sized antenna I looked around and found this article from VK2ZAY , showing a simple 'frame antenna' made with a cardboard box.

Being close to all kinds of noise sources I think the loop is probably the best option for a receiving antenna on such a low frequency.

Since I intend to use the antenna indoors the support material does not matter much.

The box measures are on the small side - 35x40 cm (14x16 inches if you like) - but as a proof of concept I have put 25 windings with taps at 15 and 20 windings, as well as a single winding coupling loop.

Now I will be looking in my junk box to find a suitable variable capacitor to complete the project (this may take some time).

If this works out to my satisfaction I will try out frame antennas for 80m, 160m and 2.2km as well, at some time.

Since there seems to be an experimental license available here in The Netherlands I may even try to put out a 600m signal, yes, I am considering joining the experimental group. The decision, however, has to be made soon before the opportunity expires.

No comments:

Post a Comment