Contents :

A collection of thoughts, and my notes about experiments and ideas, technical or otherwise, connected to Amateur Radio, Satellite working and monitoring and other electronics.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mini QRSS system

I am back from a visit to Denmark, and found a nice little setup for watching QRSS.

I was using the Eee 1000H - running SpectrumLab - with a Sony SW-1 receiver (and an audio cable)

Everything can be run from a battery, so no problems with hum.

The SW-1 has AM and SSB reception from 150kHz to 30MHz with 1 kHz steps, so by calibrating with the Russian RWM time signal transmitter I could find the QRSS band on 30m. The SW-1 needs a bit more antenna than the built-in telescopic whip, so a wire antenna was attached to the whip. The SW-1 does have an input jack for an (active) antenna, so that will be tested later. Probably a small tuned loop antenna.

I was not using it a lot, so very few signals were heard. The concept worked well enough, and the frequency drift was not excessive. I set the bandwidth of the "grabber" to 200 Hz, though.

Nice and easy low power portable receiver setup, I may use it at home as well, with external power supply.

Update :

Next step ? : maybe using the Asus Eee4G with linux/WINE, running SpectrumLab - it could hardly get any smaller.

Further, a simple DC-RX - maybe powered by the USB port ?

No comments:

Post a Comment