Having visitors this week end put a limit to my radio activities, but one thing got done.
I built (did not take that long) a small balanced amplifier with a TL592 IC. The aim is using it with small loops and ferrite antennas.
The amplifier can be found at Low Frequency Antennas , I made it for a bit higher gain and with a manual tuning capacitor in stead of the varicap, but essentially everything is as in the circuit diagram.
Going through resonance on 80m and 160m the noise increases by 20 - 30dB, so the noise figure and amplification looks good. It looks like the amplifier will support even smaller antennas than my 80-160m tunable loop.
Further experiments with the amp. should include smaller loop/frames and ferrite antennas. It could be interesting to see if the small (50 - 60mm long) ferrite antennas from small transistor radios will work in the indoor noisy environment, or even what they will do outdoors in the open (less noise)
The WN2QHL N2CQR Drake 2-B
-
*I was telling Steve KW4H and Scott K6AUS about my Drake 2-B (Serial
#11976): *
*I got mine when I was still a novice on April 11, 1974. I still have it ...
1 day ago
No comments:
Post a Comment